Some Words on Photography, Style, & Personal Growth

6:56 AM



When I look back on my photography journey, I take time to admire my old work. Going through old photos, sometimes dating back to 2009, leaves me smiling and cringing. The work I was so proud of back then is now a huge embarrassment. Sometimes I want to delete all these old archived photos from the internet. But I remember that if it weren’t for those awful images I once thought were gold I would never be where I am today.

I used to try so hard to emulate the styles of photographers I looked up to. As a kid, around the ages of 10 and 11, I only wanted my photos to look as beautiful as those that I admired. I never blatantly copied another photographers work, but I tried to replicate the different styles of photos I enjoyed using color, lighting, and editing.

 As the years went on I realized that you can’t be someone else, no matter how hard you try. It was probably around Junior High (so I was 12/13 ish) that I gave up on replicating the styles that I saw. I wanted to create my own style, but I didn’t know how. I wanted my work to be recognized for its unique look. Because I had no idea how to accomplish this, I just sort of forgot about it. Around this time I was working on a 365 Day project, so every day I just took a photo. It’s this daily effort that I attribute to my style emerging.

I didn’t notice a trend in my style until I was around 15. I had spent the past few years learning through trial and error what looks good and what doesn’t. I learned more about photography and aesthetics and I think that’s a huge contributor to developing personal style.

This all ties into personal growth in the fact that once I stopped trying so hard to become something/for my work to become something it all just sort of fell into place on its own. And now, at nearly 19, I can look back and be proud of the progress I’ve made without simply reproducing something that already belonged to someone else.

I guess my point is that art (of all forms) is individual. It will only mean the most to you if it is a part of you. Personally, I think working on something and gradually seeing parts of yourself emerge within your art is the most satisfying experience in the journey.

You Might Also Like

0 comments